Saturday, August 7, 2010

We are getting stuff done...I promise!

So, barring any unforeseen disasters we have locked in a crash pad that we will be moving into in 5 weeks-ish! I am pretty darn excited about it.



I'm sorry, we would like to interrupt this regularly scheduled programming to bring you an important announcement:


Ok, ok, so it's not really an important announcement. I started this post the other night and took a break from writing to veg in front of the tv. As I am chillaxin' watching the Julia Roberts movie marathon (because I am awesome) P walks downstairs to take the dogs outside. Not 5 minutes later he screams my name...followed by something something Porkchop. His panic mixed with hearing Porky's name pretty much sent me flying off the couch and down the stairs...by that time I had also deciphered the word "skunk". Shit. So I ran the flashlight to P and he headed out in the backyard. By now you can probably seen where this is going. I don't think I have ever shared the fact that skunks live somewhere near our house. We have never seen them, but sometimes we will smell the delighful odor drifting in our window when we are going to sleep, or before we wake up in the morning. I had tried to figure out where the skunk den might be, but between the varying types of crap in a couple of our neighbors "back yards" and the fact that the little boogers are noctural...I couldn't figure it out. Anyway, back to Saturday night, so P finally got Porky back in our yard (he had completely busted through the fence). Not knowing if the skunk would come back for more, we had to bring the pup into our house. Instantly, stink filled the downstairs. Awful. Horrible. Yuck. Porky knew he had done something wrong, so he plopped himself on the floor and hung his head in shame. We scurried about to remedy the situation, and quickly learned that we did not in fact stock tomato juice in our household..why would we? So P ran out to the store, while I tried not to die from the smell. Yuck. P quickly returned and I immediately looked down at the bag and exclaimed "what is that!?". "Tomato sauce". "I said to get tomato juice! Whatever, we will just water it down". Step 1: tomato sauce/juice bath. As the tomato juice is "soaking in" I do a little googling and find that tomato juice actually only masks the odor. Great. Step 2: Peroxide/Baking Soda/Dish soap mixture bath (we replaced vinegar with peroxide). This was apparently invented by a chemist and will strip the skunk oil (gross) from the fur. Step 3: Regular doggie bath, because who wants to smell like vinegar.


Ok, doggie isn't radiating smell anymore (although it is hard to tell, because all outside the house smells terrible! Sorry neighbors!). Went to sleep trying not to die from smell wafting in from outside...why oh why is the smell so strong? It's never been that strong before.


Let me tell you why. We wake up in the morning to go out and check the situation in the light. As I expected from the intense overnight smell the little Pepe Le Pew had perished. My sweet little gray pup is a killer. Feelings of guilt overwhelmed me. On our way to the pet store to pick up remedy #4 (because when you bend down close to him he still stinks). Gross. I made a call to animal control to come and remove the evidence of the awful night..."we can't come onto private property" they say. Oh goodie. So, as you can probably guess P and I had the pleasure of removing the little guy off of private property for the pick-up. Yuck. FYI my guilt went away mostly upon a closer view of the little thing...his face was anything but cute.


It did't look like this:


It looked more like this:


Kind of frightening. So, Porkchop made it to work today and no one has walked by my desk, sniffed the air and said "ewwww it smells like skunk"...so we are doing well. Oh, and our house no longer smells. Yay!

Well, if anyone is still reading after that long winded story here are some pics from the last couple of weeks. More pictures from this weekend (actually just Sunday around 5 pm once we finally recovered from the skunk extravaganza) to come.

New gloves! We both got a pair and really like...plus, they make us look sooo cool.

This...

was covering this in the door mini vestibule.



Work continued on the baby door that leads into the basement.


Sanded to a smooth finish...still didn't reach all wood, but since we are painting I thought that was ok. Now we just need to do some patching and a little more sanding!

This is sort of old news...I just haven't shared! We scored this great 12x24 stone tile from the rep at Stone Source. The plan is to put it in the addition when we rebuild...which will probably be in the very very distant future. Sad. It is going to stink just staring at this stuff until then because I love it! Did I mention it cost us zero dollars? Love! Thanks again Stone Source!



Whew! That's all for now. I promise next time will be more house work...less complaining about the latest doggie shenanigans.

ps. More later on the new apartment...Pepe kind of threw me off and I totally lost any thoughts about what I was going to actually write in this post!

No comments:

Post a Comment